The San Angelo Symphony’s Music in Wellness Program is an outreach program that will tap into the talent, versatility and commitment of the symphony’s musicians as they perform in small groups or as soloists before aged citizens, their caregivers and family members in settings such as at assisted-care facilities, senior centers and hospitals. These free performances are an effort to move the symphony’s work outside of the concert hall and into the realm of special populations who are unable to attend the mainstream concerts. The ultimate goals include:
- Bringing enrichment through music to special populations, in particular the elderly and infirmed.
- Establishing a relationship of trust and camaraderie between the musician and patient.
- Furthering community relevance beyond the concert hall.
- Improving the healing process and reducing stress levels of hospital patients, employees and patients’ visiting family members.
- Bringing dignity and nostalgic sentiment to patients at the end stages of their lives.
Activities that will reinforce these goals may include any or all of the following as the program progresses:
- Musicians perform concerts that evoke a particular time period or ethnic heritage.
- Patients and audience members are given handheld percussion instruments to play along with certain musical selections.
- Performances of soothing and peaceful music are scheduled at times of particular tension for the patients.
- Musicians are paired with patients to engage in friendly interaction and personal performances. The musicians will visit the patient on a semi-regular basis and perform short selections for the patient.
- Patients in the final stages of their lives will be able to request a song of particular sentimental value to them to be performed by one of the musicians.
The San Angelo Symphony partners with local retirement communities, healthcare facilities, rehabilitation centers, senior day care centers, state institutions and hospitals. Through the Music in Wellness Program, the Symphony hopes to include this worthy and significant segment of our population in the magnificent healing properties music can afford them.